Monday, November 03, 2008

I'm Baaaack!

Due to some uncertain times with a job I've been working for a little over a year, my good friend (and employer) had to lay me off. With the hope that I will be able to work for him again soon, I have decided not to look for other work for now and instead go back to substitute teaching as a sort of bridge until work for my friend's company comes in and I am needed once again. Substitute teaching is a viable, temporary, and quick option that I have 7 years of experience in.

I've only been away from it for about 16 months so I think I can just jump right back in. I imagine that I'll be a little rusty at first, not as efficient, not as quick with discipline, a little slow on problem solving, and a bit off on the rhythm of school. It will all come back quickly.

I will be at a slight disadvantage compared to before I left. Many of the Little Darlings knew me and I knew them. I'm curious to see if my responses and attitude have changed since being away. I've had a year of being in the "real world" so to speak, working with and sometimes supervising adults. (In some ways supervising some of them was no different than substituting in 4th grade!) It will also be interesting to me to see if my approach or attitude will be different since I currently do not have the goal of becoming a full-time, pemanent teacher as I had in the past.

I have mixed emotions about going back. I liked working with the kids and being able to help out a teacher who was in need. But the energy required and the nonsense a sub has to put up with for such little pay are the downsides of going back into the classroom.

1 comment:

KauaiMark said...

Welcome back to the ranks. Just in time for the Thanksgiving Holidays