Sunday, April 19, 2009

Great Idea

I have substituted in the same first grade class frequently this year so I know the kids pretty well. The other week I was unprepared for an argument that two of the boys got into. Somehow the subject of aliens came up. The first boy said that aliens are real and that his dad told him they were. The second boy said that aliens are not real. This went back and forth with tempers rising along with their adamant ascertains of their truths. Finally I'd had enough and, not wanting to get into a discussion about the existence of Aliens (or God or anything else for that matter!), I told them to stop talking about it. After recess these same two boys walked into the classroom once again arguing about it. I told them there would be no more alien talk today and threatened them with doing laps during lunch if it continued!

This past week one of the boys, who is often a behavior problem, showed up to school wearing a black t-shirt with a slogan on the front in white lettering that said, "Every great idea I have always gets me in trouble!" Perfect!

No comments: