Thursday, May 18, 2006

Apology Letters

I returned to the same school on Monday after dealing with the "3rd Grade Class That Won't Be Quiet" for three days last week. Today's 3rd grade class is as different as can be. There is not this constant misbehavior or talking. There is not this energy drain like in the other class. What a difference!

The teacher whose class I subbed in last week saw me and decided to have his kids write me letters of apology. It makes for interesting reading as the recipient. Some contain genuine feelings of remorse. I know that many are just doing the assignment. In general they are not really expressing heart-felt sentiments.

One exception to that is the one from the boy I sent to the principal. His behavior had been so unacceptable that I couldn't ignore it, or simply take away recess or something. He did it once, causing quite a reaction from his classmates. So I moved him away from the group. Then he repeated it, leaving me little choice but to act. (Sorry to withhold details of what he did but confidentiality is a bit of a concern...let's just say it wasn't terrible but it was over the line.)

In writing his letter I am certain he had feelings of remorse, and not just because he was sent to the principal. He often seems to regret his behavior when he gets into trouble for it. Even though he is a disruptive force in the classroom I can't help but see his positive potential and to want to help him do better. To me he's a loveable kid for sure. His letter is at the end.

Here is a sampling of letters, spelling and grammar errors included:

Dear Mr. _____, I am sorry that me and the other kids were not on are best behvior when you came. Sincerely, ____

Dear Mr. _____, We are sorry for being a disruption and talking in class. We are sooo sorry. You are a great substitute. Sincerely, _____

Dear Mr _____, I'm sorry what we did to you. Every body got out of controll. Our class is all sorry. Sincerely, _________

Dear Mr. _____, I am sorry for disrupting and talking in class. I am very sorry. I will never do it again. Sincerely, _____

Dear Mr. _____, I am very sorry for my behoir it was really bad but next time I will do better next time. Sincerly, _______

Dear Mr. _____, I am so sory becus I mouth off and disdoba you. I am sory that I tacta lot. Sincerly, _____


Here is a sampling from students who may have felt that someone else was misbehaving or that he or she was only partially responsible:

Dear Mr. _____, I was bad and good. I did work and I talked. I was mostley bad and I talked a lot. Sincerely, _______

Dear Mr. ____, I am very sorry how we were behaving to you. We want to say were very very very sorry. I feel bad for you. You are a really great teachter and you disrber more. Sincerely, ______

Dear Mr. _____, I'm sorry if our class was rewd. I apoligies so don't blame it on Mr. _________ [their teacher]. We are so so sorry I hope you will come back. I will be better next time I promes. So I hope you forgive us. Sincerely _____

Dear Mr. _____, I feel bad for the ones that didn't coreopurate with you. I think you are a good and a great teacher. I think the bad ones think you are a bad teacher. Well, thanks for the help. Sincerely, _____

Dear Mr. _____, Thank you for subbing our class. I injoyed what you taught us. I am sorry that some of us were noisy. I hope you will sub my class again. Sincerely, ______

Dear Mr. _____, I am sary that the other kids were being bad to you and I was to and we will not do it agen and so I am so, so sary for being bad. Sincerely, _______

Dear Mr. _____, I am sorry for the bad things I did. I apolagies for [doing what I did]. I try to not to [do what I did] Next time you come. Sincerely, _____

2 comments:

BettlerChor said...

It reminds me ... One time I asked my kids to write a description...One of them had to describe really tired person. And that's what I got:
"His eyes looked like two holes pissed out in the snow"

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree, and very well written.
Apology/sorry Letters